On this Earth Day, we’re celebrating anthropologists! Many anthropologists have been newsmakers lately, so here is a media round up to add to your weekend read:
- Why Three Cups of Tea Won’t Save Afghanistan – Rachel Newcomb (Rollins College)
- Wheaton College Appoints Dean of Global and Experiential Learning – Laura Montgomery (Westmont College)
- Mixed Unions Lead to More Tolerance and Respect for Cultural Differences – Josiane Le Gall (CSSS de La Montagne) and Deirdre Meintel ( U de Montréal)
- Professor Awarded Guggenheim Fellowship – Jennifer Robertson (U of Michigan)
- Muslims Can Be Effective Capitalists – Daromir Rudnyckyj (U of Victoria)
An article of interest to be featured this Sunday, April 24th in the New York Times Magazine, Obama’s Young Mother Abroad.
And, no Earth Day would be complete without a few ideas of how you could celebrate the earth’s special day. With the assistance of the Anthropology and Environment Section, here are a few things you can do to celebrate Earth Day!
- Make tonight a movie night! Pick up an eco-flick to watch with your family and friends. Need some film ideas? Click here.
- Pick 5 for Your Environment – An EPA challenge to take five simple steps to make changes where you live.
- Eat locally grown foods! Anthropology students at Arkansas Tech University are serving up locally produced foods and mapping the local, sustainable foodshed.
Anthropologists have amply documented that meaningful lives are lived on low-energy budgets.
-Thomas Love (Linfield College)
Filed under: Anthro in the Media, Commentary | Tagged: anthropologists, Anthropology and Environment Section, Arkansas Tech University, Bullfrog films, CSSS de La Montagne, Daromir Rudnyckyj, Deirdre Meintel, Earth Day, EPA, Guggenheim Fellowship, Huffington Post, Jennifer Roberston, Joshua Lockyer, Josiane Le Gall, Laura Montgomery, Linfield College, locally grown foods, Montreal Gazette, New York Times Magazine, Rachel Newcomb, Rollins College, Stanley Ann Dunham, Thomas Love, Universite de Montreal, University of Michigan, University of Victoria, Vancouver Sun, Westmont College, Wheaton College, Wheaton Patch | 1 Comment »